Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What advice can you give for someone getting bad reads on the green?

At the course i work at, I can't get a good read of the greens for the life of me. I find that one of the courses are easier than the other two (so it's not the course). For example, I was working on my putting at the practice area today, and it would look flat to me, but it'll break. I'll have to get to know the greens with a few balls first and see how they roll before I can sink one in.





I already wear glasses and my prescription's up to date so it's not my eyes. Any advice?What advice can you give for someone getting bad reads on the green?
Bad green reading is due primarily to lack of knowledge and not taking all factors into consideration. Each grass used for putting greens effects the ball differently. The slope of the green, the manner in which it drains, minor undulations all have an effect on the roll of a putt. As a person becomes more familiar with the greens where he plays, he is cognizant of the subtleties that are peculiar to each green , the severity of breaks, etc. . He , naturally becomes a better putter.What advice can you give for someone getting bad reads on the green?
Sometimes you are reading the greens just fine but are just not setting up correctly. Have you tried drawing a dark line on the ball with a Sharpie and using that to make sure your orientation is OK. Check out this blog: www.niblicksoftruth.blogspot.com for a series of articles called Putting for Dough. I found some useful perspective and practice drills on putting.
try contact lenses.





imaguine that you pored a bucket of water on your ball .... and how the water would flow to the hole.





practice rolling golf balls with you hands rather than putting them to focus on how the ball rolles and not your putting stroke.





the grain of the green (direcion which the grass grows) will effect the speed of the putt which is a factor in determing the line.





EVERY PUTT IS A STRAIGHT PUTT!! Pick your spot and trust it.
Study up on grain of greens and the different types of grass, ie burmuda, bent grass, etc.





Greens are usually simple, but speed and grain can vary alot!
there are sunglasses out there with different color shades and you see the different shades of grass and with a little practice you will figure out if the dark shades are slow and break left or vice versa
Study greens and get lessons from a pro.





I hope this helps...
Hey,





I suggest getting a new putter that is easy to line up because it will make it a lot easier
get a caddy or get some putting lessons
  • wet eyeshadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment